If you like pickles, you need to try this recipe. Our cucumber plants are producing like crazy right now, leaving us with tons of cucumbers to eat or store. I just happened across Imgur user usernameisslreadytaken‘s post, here, and since the timing couldn’t be better, decided to give these spicy IPA pickles a try.
The brine mixture will fill about 6 pint-sized jars. All the dry ingredients get added per-jar. Here’s the recipe:
- Cucumbers. Enough to loosely fill 6 pint jars when sliced the way you like.
- 6 tsp red pepper flakes
- 6 tsp black peppercorns
- 12 tsp dill seed
- 20-25 cloves of garlic (roughly 1 1/2 heads) adjust amount to taste
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups distilled vinegar
- 6 tbs kosher salt
- 2 bottles of your favorite IPA
- Fill your jars with cucumbers. I do some jars with spears, and some jars cut in slices. Try to loosely fill the whole jar.
- To each jar add: 1 tsp red pepper flakes, 1tsp black peppercorns, 2 tsp dill seed (I substituted for 1 tsp dried dill weed), and 3-5 chopped cloves of garlic.
- Then, make the brine. To a pot add the beer, vinegars, and kosher salt. Bring to a boil.
- Once the brine is boiling, use a ladle and add to each jar, covering the cucumber completely.
- Once complete, you can throw a lid on these and stick them in the fridge immediately, OR take extra steps to preserve for non-refrigerated storage. Either way they're "ready" in about a week. They taste great before then too!